Wednesday, September 27, 2017

September Meeting: Fact vs. Fiction

Bookshop is back! A big bookish welcome to our six returning members and our four new members! I'm super excited to read and discuss and create with you this year.

Since we didn't read a book prior to our first meeting, we spent much of the meeting chatting, eating, and getting (re)acquainted. To do so, we played Two Truths and A Lie where everyone said three things about themselves and the group could ask two questions before guessing which one wasn't true. Even though some members of the group have known each other for a long time, we all learned some pretty cool things (our "facts" are below with the lies italicized).

AMY
1. I love Taylor Swift.
2. I've never been to the Grand Canyon.
3. I like hugging people to death.

ARSALAN
1. I'm allergic to marshmallows.
2. I'm allergic to peanut butter.
3. My mom is allergic to cats.

AVERY
1. I've been in the Nutcracker for 4 years; this will be my 5th year.
2. I've been to Greece.
3. My hamster is semi-famous.

CARSON
1. I went to see the total eclipse this summer.
2. I went to LA this summer.
3. I drank a cactus in the Grand Canyon.

CHRIS
1. I have a cool nickname.
2. Delaware is my favorite state.
3. I've been to Mexico City.

EMILY
1. I played varsity basketball in college.
2. I've written three Curious George books.
3. I taught English in France for a year.

GABRIEL
1. My family has two summer houses.
2. I live on Flint Street.
3. I eat tostadas 5 out of 7 days a week.

HIMA
1. I have two dogs.
2. My sister is 16.
3. I've been to India.

ISAAC
1. I have blue eyes.
2. I'm British.
3. I like skateboarding.

JULIA
1. I have a dog.
2. I'm from China.
3. My favorite ice cream flavor is vanilla.

STEFAN
1. I like peanuts.
2. I don't like music.
3. I like pistachios.

After that little icebreaker, we broke into groups of two to play Snap Judgment, which went along with our theme of discerning fact from fiction. I read out a statement and each pair had 3 minutes to use the internet to try to verify it. Some of the statements were easier than others, and we talked about which news sites online are credible (i.e. https://newsela.com/and which aren't (i.e. http://www.theonion.com/).

All in all, a fun, high-energy first meeting of the year! Our next meeting will be Monday, October 30, from 5:30-7:00pm. We are reading Ghost by Jason Reynolds, a book about a middle school boy who's running out of chances until he joins an elite track team and discovers that maybe he can turn his life around by running toward something instead of always running away. During our meeting, we will be using a really cool online website to design our own track shoes. See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment